“When I was in my 20s, I was a lost soul. Your 20s are about finding your soul”- Oprah Winfrey
Do you ever find yourself questioning your current position at this stage in your life? Are you always wondering why this and that hasn’t happened for you yet? Or do you compare yourself to others your age and think to yourself you should be doing more?
Guilty? Well, you’re not alone.
The current book I’m reading titled ‘All Groan Up’ shares the account of 20 something-year-old Paul Angone as he tries to tackle his daily struggle of being a 20 something-year-old. The good, The bad and the Ugly. This led me to start thinking about my own personal experience and was very curious to see how my friends felt. This brought forth the question:
What is something you’ve learned so far from being in yours 20s?
Here is a countdown of my responses from a variety of 20 something-year-olds, in no particular order and I’m sure we can relate to at least one if not all of them.
- Being yourself is important – Individuality is what sets you apart from being like everyone else. It’s important to focus on yourself. Watching what someone else is doing will not help you in the long run because all of our journeys are different.
- It’s all in your mind – Fear and Rejection are two of your biggest obstacles. Once you determine what your fears and worst nightmares are. You’re literally a winner. You can do anything you put your mind to.
- You’re in Control- You are Responsible for all if not the majority of things in your life. Success, failure, happiness and disappointments, therefore don’t be too upset if things don’t go to plan. There’s always a door of opportunity around the corner and you make the decisions of which you’d like to open. Having a positive outlook on life always helps. What you put out into the universe is usually what you’ll get back. Never let people stand in the way of your happiness.
- Stand strong in your decisions – Never second guess yourself. Usually the feeling you get at first tends to be right. If anything doesn’t go to plan, you only have to answer to yourself and it’s always a learning lesson.
- There’s no set way of doing things- Education is not necessarily the only route to a successful future, your drive and ambition should be enough to power you through whichever way you choose to go.
- Don’t be a people pleaser – You can’t please everyone so just be yourself. You are your biggest competition, don’t worry that you’re not where you want to be.
- Chase after your dreams– life waits for no-one, if you want something go and get it!
- You are never too old to chase your dreams. The world Is your oyster and while you have no serious responsibilities make the most of every opportunity given to you.
- Time – This has to be one of my favourites. It’s important to be very conscious of where your time going. Within the week and especially throughout the day. Some of us can spend so much time on social media watching what the next person is doing we forget and what we are supposed to be doing.
- Sacrifice – Following on from the above point we have to determine that there is a place and time for certain things and people. Sometimes making a choice and sacrifice on whom and what you spend your time on will benefit you in the long-run. It’s all about finding a balance. Be selfish with your time!
- It’s okay to make mistakes – making mistakes is part of the process. Its fine to make mistakes you’ll learn for yourself. It’s a part of growing up.
- MONEY-The best time to start saving up is now. You never know what situations you’ll be thrown into and where life will take you. What you invest your money in at the stage is crucial as it should mainly be used to invest in your future.
- Good Friends are hard to find– As you mature you learn it’s not about who you’ve known for the longest it’s about who’s been there for you. Motivation and advice are key ingredients in a healthy friendship. You learn about yourself more and your circle of friends may get smaller because you choose to keep the people around you that motivate you and help you get to where you want to be.
- Support – The people around you on a daily basis can sometimes play a huge factor in the person you are today and who you become in the future. Keeping positive people around you and supporting them helps to build your confidence and shape your character. Always value the family and friendships you have as those are the people that will support you and build you up at times of need.
- YOLO– In the great words of rapper Drake “You only live once”. Why worry over situations, things and people you can’t control? Enjoy the now and trust that the future will take care of itself
- Personally –I’ve learned that life doesn’t go exactly how you plan it. However, it’s okay!!! Success rarely comes overnight, so I shouldn’t be hard on yourself.You are exactly where you need to be at this stage in life and you are here for a purpose.Bonus (and to pretty much sum it up)
You’re only ever going to be 20 once so live every moment, take every opportunity, make the mistakes you need to now that you won’t be able to apologise for later on in life, wear all the clothes you won’t get away with when you’re 30 and don’t ever stop being you. Life is too short to be 30 at 20! – Nicole
What points can you most relate to? Leave a reply below.
A big shout out to all my friends who answered the question!!!